Lor, I sat in that beautiful garden at Iona Cottage and had a glass of French red on our first night there. And I thought of you. It was just as beautiful as its pictures on the web. And I needed the glass of red... it was what kept me going all day!
We boarded the Eurostar in Paris with not much time to spare since we didn't realize that we'd be going through Customs on that end, and it involved Paperwork.
When we arrived in London, I called the car rental agency to find out how to get there. After being informed that it would take 1.5 hrs, decided to pick up the car at a nearer location and just pluck up my courage (all the while chanting "French red, French red") and drive out of busy London. Still took 1.5 hrs to get the car due to a line up ("queue") but got an upgrade in the process. Upgrade included a 2nd driver, better insurance, and a TomTom GPS. We have nicknamed the GPS "Butler" as Neal changed the voice to Irish, Male and now it sounds like one of the characters from our Artemis Fowl audiobooks.
And Col, Butler has saved our collective butts too many times to count already. Except that the kids keep saying 'you have reached your destination' or 'after 300 yards, bear left' in a weak Irish accent which can get tiresome...
I've also lost track of the number of roundabouts I've done/survived. Driving out of London was nerve-wracking to say the least. Started off by stalling the car, but it was on a hill and we just kept going. Our upgrade also meant that we have a Kia Sedona minivan (>shudder< at least it's manual!) which by Cdn standards is not large, but over here it's a tank! We've had to collapse the sideview mirrors numourous times - we now refer to it as bringing in the flaps. Now that I've got the hang of it -- and it is just me so far, and may be me the entire time... -- it's been less stressful than driving back home. Roundabouts make sense.
In order of appearance, we have visited Bath, the standing stones at Avebury, been to Glastonbury, Wells, Stonehenge and Lyme Regis. We left Iona Cottage in Limpley Stoke this morning (sniff, sniff) and drove up into The Cotswolds. Made it to the medieval Warwick Castle in time to see them launch a fireball with a trebuchet. Which is great, since Maeve's class is doing Medieval Times and Castles right about now. Drove into Ebrington, near Chipping Campden for this evening. We're staying at our first B&B tonight, on a working sheep/cattle farm. Tomorrow we're off towards North Wales.
Yvonne
it looks cold you say? yeah, you could say that... blustery too!
Glad you're enjoying the TomTom. I nearly killed one of Steven's boyfriends over that thing - although he had it set to the Australia accent. Alison and I are having fun here and went on a giant shopping spree at IKEA today! hugs, Wendy
ReplyDeleteLove your update! Was getting a little concerned (drive carefully, says Owen) but then figured internet may be hard pressed? So nice to see you all still looking relaxed!! Col
ReplyDeleteHi Guys,
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear from you. We were begining to wonder also but without doubt you are surviving the left handed driving lane. Pictures again were great. And Maeve, you will now be the "on site" expert for medieval history. And Neal, you will have to tell us all about the Druids and Stonehenge. The history of the place has always fascinated us. Continue your marvellous adventure....DWG/MGG
Well, we learnt that the Druids have nothing to do with Stonehenge! They preferred to worship in natural open clearings in the forest. Stonehenge was built thousands of years before the Celts, by Neolithic peoples. It was very impressive, and had a(nother) excellent audioguide.
ReplyDeleteIt is so cool to follow you. I was also curious to hear about the driving. Thank you for taking the time to write. Hugs all around.
ReplyDeleteJosee
We have all been following your trip and the kids are always excited to see the photos. It looks and sounds like you are having a wonderful time. I can picture that beautiful garden and I bet the wine tasted really, really good! The medieval project in our family this year was on Beaumaris castle in Wales. The children are wondering if you saw it?? I am curious about the Standing Stones. I have never heard of them and was wondering about their history. Keep driving safely!
ReplyDeleteI'm finding your trip so fascinating. Thanks for writing about it and posting pictures.
ReplyDeleteFrance Picard